I’m Dulcimer Draws: an Artist and Creative Facilitator based in Hackney, East London.
As you can probably tell from my name and instagram feed, I really love drawing: but what you might not know, is that I love writing too!
In fact, prior to quitting my day job 2 months ago to go full-on Dulcimer Draws (gulp!), I’d spent 13 years working in marketing across the Arts, Publishing and Brand Licensing sectors.
I delivered campaigns for companies and brands of all sizes: from big global publishers and consumer brands (including Pearson, Scholastic, Nintendo, Dettol, The Gruffalo and Horrible Histories) - to tiny local theatres and independent production companies.
Throughout that time, it was my ability to create engaging content and customer-focused marketing campaigns that enabled me to thrive and succeed: as well as my flair for writing compelling copy for a wide variety of audiences and platforms.
So, why am I telling you this?
Well, because rather than keep my marketing skills to myself, I’d like to use them to help fellow creatives (YOU!) achieve your goals and dreams - as I attempt to realise my own!
THINGS I CAN HELP YOU WITH:
MARKETING PLANS AND STRATEGY
- General advice about your how to grow your brand and the steps you’d need to take to achieve it - including the examples of the brand stories that would captivate and bring your brand to life
- Campaign plans including straplines, messaging and content: for specific products, product series, events/fairs or seasons - e.g. Christmas!
- Full consultation and feedback on your current marketing strategy and recommendations about how to enhance it
- Refreshing or writing product listings, social media posts, blogs, web copy, printed materials, packaging…
- A list of recommendations on how to improve your tone of voice, messaging and copy
- A comprehensive social media content plan for you to deliver between now and Christmas - and / or help you deliver it
- Managing your social media channels and strategy on an ongoing basis - or giving you a plan ready to DIY
Advice about how to develop your brand: from defining your personality and tone of voice - to ideas and tips about how to create engaging stories and digital content
I’m happy to consult, create or a bit of both! Essentially, I want to share the skills I’ve gained to help fellow creatives achieve their aims and dreams: so I’m yours to use however you see fit!
YOUR CHRISTMAS CAMPAIGN FAIRY
Now I don’t want to mention the C word already, but it’s probably on your mind too!
Yes, Christmas is coming and now is the perfect time to get your ducks/elves/stockings in a row and ensure that your festive marketing campaigns are profitable and on point.
Santa may bring the presents: but I’ll help you to deliver captivating campaigns to make you stand out from the Christmas crowds!
I know what you’re thinking:
Sounds great: but how much is this all going to cost?
Well exactly! That’s my first question when hiring freelancers. I’m aware that so many of us are on a tight budget, so want to keep things as affordable as possible. Costs will be very much based on your requirements of course, so let’s discuss and I can give you a bespoke quote!
To give you a rough idea:
Copywriting: £20 per hour
Social media management: £150 per week to manage and post across your social media channels
One-off marketing consultation and strategy recommendations: £150
I’d love to hear from and help you: so get in touch and let’s talk!
My 5 Top Tips for Crafting Compelling Copy
(And a picture of me with a pineapple on my head!)
- AUDIENCE: Think about you reader. Who are they, where are they, what are doing, how are they likely to be feeling when you send out that email or social post? The more you tap into their mood and mindset, the more likely you are to push their buttons and persuade them to press purchase!
TONE OF VOICE: After writing your copy, read what you’ve written out loud. If you feel silly or strange saying it, delete it and re-write! I never write anything in an email or message that I wouldn’t say out loud to someone’s face.
CHARACTER: Inhabit your brand’s personality when writing. Think about their characteristics, vocabulary, likes, dislikes, behaviours, favourite clothes… the more you get under the skin of your brand character, the more you’ll be able to communicate it in an authentic and consistent tone of voice.
Try this: Think of all the brands you’d love to be best friends with: the ones who consistently make you feel happy, inspired and eager to buy from. Take a bit of time to analyse how they write and communicate across different channels. Look at what they do and see if any of it could be relevant to your brand: and if so, feed it into your strategy!
- TIMING & TRENDS: It sounds obvious, but think about what’s going on in the wider world, topical events and news you can tap into to tap into social trends and maximise the impact and reach of your campaign
- I frequently refer to this website when create content marketing calendars - it’s full of random topical days! www.daysoftheyear.com
- THE WHAT & THE WHY: Before writing anything, be clear about what you want your reader to do: what’s your objective - what action do you want them to take? Then think about why they should do it - what’s in it for them? if you're selling art and gifts, the chances are people do not need what you’re offering them: but with a clever bit of copywriting, you can definitely inspire them to want it!
3 KEY FACTS ABOUT MY SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1) I’ve launched, managed and created copy for dozens of websites, including
And of course my own website www.dulcimerdraws.com
2) I've worked extensively across all key social media channels (YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter) and increased Macmillan’s Facebook fan base from 50,000 to 90,000 within a year.
3) I’ve used dozens of different email and CMS platforms, including Mailchimp, Silverpop, Campaign Monitor, Wordpress and Squarespace.
recent highlights and achievements
Leading the PR and marketing campaigns behind sellout tours and West End runs of The Gruffalo Live (and meeting my illustration hero Axel Scheffler on press night!)
Producing this trailer: part of my content marketing campaign for the Macmillan Education Online Conference, which attracted a record-breaking audience of 20,000 teachers worldwide (vs 5000 in the previous year)
Managing and producing content for the award-winning Life Skills campaign for Macmillan, including organising this interview with former Astronaut Chris Hadfield (total legend!)
Devising and delivering the Shakespeare for Life campaign to mark the 400th anniversary of his death in 2016, including writing and creating all the content
Setting up The Social Sketchup and being the first person (in the UK) to run a sketchdating night!
Above all, believing in myself enough to launch Dulcimer Draws!
The story continues...
Take a look at LinkedIn for more details about my career and experience.